New Year’s Resolutions

Happy 2015 to everyone! If you are like me, you are in the 58% group from the inaugural InSpearational Health poll that doesn’t make Near Year’s Resolutions. That doesn’t mean I don’t have goals, it just means I no longer create resolutions.

When I was young, I was a nail biter. Every year I would make a resolution to stop biting my nails. It didn’t work for me. One day, out of the blue, I just stopped biting my nails. I was finally ready to take that step after many resolutions not kept. Creating this resolution and not succeeding didn’t mean I failed. It just meant I wasn’t ready to take that particular step. It would happen when I was ready, not by forcing it with a resolution. Sometimes, we try to force something to happen with a resolution.

So, 58% didn’t set a resolution, which means the other 42% of you made at least one Near Year’s Resolution this year. How are you doing on your resolution(s)?

According to, about 71% of resolutions are still intact after two weeks and 64% remain at the end of January. So, be honest, where are you at with your resolution? If you are not doing as well as you planned, that doesn’t mean you failed. It means you created a resolution that you weren’t ready for, or that is bigger than you anticipated, or you need some extra support. See this as a lesson to learn.

Most importantly, don’t see not completing your resolution as a failure because it is not. You created the resolution, you took steps to complete it. Doing something is not failing, it is success. Maybe not the success you set out for, success nonetheless. So, celebrate it! Then determine what you can do to continue forward progress toward that resolution. created a cool Infographic about how Science Can Help You Stick to Your Goals. Check it out. Maybe you are missing one of the pieces outlined here to achieve your goal and/or resolution.

Good luck! You can do it!

By the way, I had a goal to get this blog posted a week ago. This happened, that happened, and I didn’t meet my goal. That is OK. The date for the goal shifted and I completed it regardless. Success!

by Michele Spear